Role of ABAPer in SAP Upgrade
Upgrade is nothing but installing a new version of software which have more functionality then the earlier version.
Upgrade are mainly three types:
Technical upgrade : is a fast upgrade without additional functionality but with minor user interface changes, to ensure business continuity. This upgrade type includes a cleanup of the system without implementing additional functionality, as well as technology upgrade with the opportunity to eliminate not used modifications and custom developments.
Functional upgrade : Is built on the technical upgrade, the functional upgrade provides in addition the opportunity to implement new functionalities in area like FI,HR,Logistics ..,this upgrade type also represents an opportunity to maximize the use of SAP standard functionalities by replacing custom modifications and consolidate instance or systems.
Strategic upgrade: Is driven by enterprise SOA to provide more flexibility to business process innovation. This type of upgrade approach represents a significant technology improvements step by leveraging SAP Net weaver functionality to standardize, adapt, and enable new business processes and optimized scenarios.
The major stages of a technical upgrade can be:
System preparation and stack level patch upgrade u2013 Basis Team
SPDD Phase u2013 ABAP and Functionals
Up gradation of the system u2013 Basis Team
SPAU Phase u2013 ABAP and Functionals
DBACOCKPIT for indexing u2013 ABAP TEAM
You will have two technical upgrade strategies that will depend on your installation and service window available to do it.
The new upgrade system uses a system switch strategy to do the technical upgrade that allows to do parts of the process with your old version still running with users logged in. The SAPup creates a Shadow instance where the new versions, Support Packages, etc are imported so when dowtime comes, most part is already in Database so the downtime won´t be so long.
Technical upgrade is a two major steps procedure:
Prepare, that checks and prepares the system for the actual upgrade.
Upgrade, Where the system switch is done to the new version.
The Upgrade step can be done in two ways:
Resource Minimized: Due the fact that running two instances in the same hardware could create a serious performance issue that will impact the users work, then Resource Minimized takes down the system for longer time and the old system will be down while the conversions and imports are done. Of course in this case the Upgrade program will have all hardware to do its job. This option is only possible if your service window is large enough for the upgrade completes.
Downtime Minimized: This is the most recomended option if enough hardware is available because the technical downtime is minimal depending on customer objects and data in certain tables. The downside here is that Hardware should be enough to mantain two instances running in the same machine. As per my experience, this will also depends on how many concurrent users your system is handling during work hours.
Important to mention is that DB size will not influence much in the downtime so if the database is big or small does not matter much. To give you an example I have done an upgrade with 300 Gb database and another with 7.2 Tb database and the time taken was not that different.
Hardware capacity of course is one of the keys, if your servers has enough RAM and CPU power then you can hurry things using more parallel processes.
Try to do a test upgrade at the begining and from there try to narrow problems and times, write down your upgrade documents with times taken during long phases, hardware ussage, disk space taken, errors and fixes, etc so at the end the PROD upgrade will be just a game.
If you are upgrading your system from 4.7 to ECC 6.0 take care following steps
1. Basis people make a copy of system which you want to upgrade
2. after that basis people will start doing upgrade there are several number of phase they will run one after another continuosly, in this stage Basis team needs a Support of ABAP Team to find out missing codes in note correction and all.
3. after completeing certain phases by Basis Team they will hit SPDD list , SPDD is nothing but a list of standard data dictionary objects here you will find out all the standard data dictionary objects like Domain, Tables , Technical Setting, Structures etc where you have added your Custom fields or SAP newly added field in ECC 6.0 ,
4. In SPDD phase you have to click on Each objects which are present on SPDD list, after clicking system will prompt a message for each and every objects whethe you want to carry out the custom changes in higher version and newly added in ECC 6.0 . you have to take care both the things, while doing spdd correction just make sure non of the Custom field will miss.
5. Save all the SPDD objects under One Task Request.
6. after completion of SPDD phase ABAP team will handover system again to Basis Team , basis team will again run the certain number of steps and they will hit SPAU after upgrade.
7. in SPAU phase allow you to adjust all standard Note corrections,programs , function groups, function module ,classes , interfaces etc… here you have to adjust all the object one by one here also take care none of the custom changes will miss.
8. after completion of SPAU system again handover to Basis team.
9. now in Next step you have to remediate all your z/y (custom programs) for that use transaction SAMT it will give you the list of all impacted program list because of upgradation.
10. now capture all the program and start remediating error one by one, go for extended program check (SLIN) it will categorise all the errors warnings and information in particular program as a abaper after seeing that you have to decide which error you have to take care which will crete a problem, like replace all the obsolete function modules and all.
11. when all the custom program remediation is done then if you are upgrading your system from non unicode system to unicode system then system again hadover to basis team they will start doing the pre stages of unicode activity
12 when once the basis thing is done the system again handover to ABAP team to check the Unicode errors in custom programs.use transaction (UCcheck) it will give you all program where unicode errors are present and with error description and just check whether your program is unicode enabled or not by enabling unicode check box.
13. after that system again handover to basis team they will carry out some process, then it will go for Functional testing.
14. in functional testing if any program will not show correct output or its going for dump or any transaction is taking too much time or time out error then abpa team and bassis team will resolve the problem
15. finally your system upgraded from 4.7 to ECC 6.0 and it will GO Live.