What is eCATT?
eCATT is an SAP Testing Tool used to automate and test business scenarios in R/3. Each test generates a detailed log that documents the test process and results. If the testing is smooth without any errors, this means that the business scenarios mapped in R/3 are correct. If the test results in error then the problem can be analyzed using the error log that is generated.
eCATT enables automatic testing in SAP GUI for Windows and SAP GUI for Java.
Features of eCATT:
Following functions can be performed using eCATT:
- Test transactions, reports and scenarios.
- Call BAPIs and function modules.
- Test remote systems.
- Check authorizations (user profiles).
- Test updates (database, applications, GUI).
- Set up customizing tables.
- Test the effect of changes to customizing settings.
- Perform load testing.
- Check system messages.
- Integrated with Test Workbench, so allows proper management of scripts using SCAT transaction.
- Supports CATT migration to eCATT.
- All eCATT Objects are Repository Objects. Therefore one can take advantage of Standard SAP Transport Tools.
- eCATT Objects can easily download & upload in XML with XSD format.
- There can be several versions of Test Scripts, which allows different implementations with different releases.
- The separation of Test Scripts, Test Data & System Data allows for a considerable degree of reuse.
CATT is no longer supported by SAP for the creation of new developments. Hence all the test scripts developed in CATT are now need to migrate/Update to eCATT. Comparative to manual testing, the following are advantages of using eCATT:
- Due to automation, testing time is reduced to a large extent.
- Due to automation, less manpower is required for testing. This helps financially.
- Due to automation, manual errors are reduced to large extent. Hence results in error free testing. This helps, as no further problems will occur while the usage of R/3 system by end users and hence increases the efficiency.
- Proved to be extremely useful in implementation projects.
In regression testing, automated test scripts are an ideal method of quickly detecting errors. Automatic test logs make it easy to reproduce test results, enabling fast analysis and planning of further activities, leading to cost savings for the customer.